Monday, February 26, 2024

Job 13, "Let Me Argue Before God"

Job continues to defend himself. In the last chapter Job emphasized his agreement with God's great power and knowledge and chastised his companions for saving things that were obvious. His chastisement continues.

Job 13:1-5, Be silent
"My eyes have seen all this, 
my ears have heard and understood it.
What you know, I also know;
 I am not inferior to you.
But I desire to speak to the Almighty 
and to argue my case with God.

You, however, smear me with lies; 
you are worthless physicians, all of you!
If only you would be altogether silent! 
For you, that would be wisdom.

Job wants to argue his case before God. His friends are worthless, worthless doctors who pretend they can heal. He asks them to shut up.

Job 13:6-11, Listen
Hear now my argument; 
listen to the plea of my lips.

Will you speak wickedly on God's behalf? 
Will you speak deceitfully for him?
Will you show him partiality? 
Will you argue the case for God?
Would it turn out well if he examined you? 
Could you deceive him as you might deceive men?

He would surely rebuke you if you secretly showed partiality.
Would not his splendor terrify you? 
Would not the dread of him fall on you?

Do Job's friends really understand God? They have neither listened to Job nor accurately reflected God's thoughts.

Job 13:12, Proverbs of ashes
Your maxims are proverbs of ashes; 
your defenses are defenses of clay.

Job, who sits in pain covered with ashes, accuses his friends of empty proverbs, proverbs no better than the ashes. The short maxims of his friends are too simplistic, much like the modern bumper sticker or Facebook meme.

Job 13:13-16, I will speak -- to God Himself
"Keep silent and let me speak; 
then let come to me what may.
Why do I put myself in jeopardy 
and take my life in my hands?

Though he slay me, 
yet will I hope in him; 
I will surely defend my ways to his face.
Indeed, this will turn out for my deliverance, 
for no godless man would dare come before him!

Job wants a chance to defend himself and, despite God's clear power, Job relies on God's justice. He is willing to lay out his arguments in a dangerous trial before God. Hartley argues that verse 15 ("Though he slay me...") is often mistranslated; it is a statement that Job wants to appear before God, relying on His justice, even if it means Job's death. This is a bold statement.

Job 13:17-19, Yes, listen!
Listen carefully to my words; 
let your ears take in what I say.
Now that I have prepared my case, 
I know I will be vindicated.
Can anyone bring charges against me? 
If so, I will be silent and die.

Job calls for attention.

Job 13:20-23, Two things
Only grant me these two things, O God, 
and then I will not hide from you:
Withdraw your hand far from me, 
and stop frightening me with your terrors.
Then summon me and I will answer, 
or let me speak, and you reply.
How many wrongs and sins have I committed? 
Show me my offense and my sin.

Job now turns to directly to God. He requests (says Hartley) a courtroom trial. Job argues he has a right to a hearing before this punishment. In his request, Job pleads first for a withdrawal of the pain and suffering and then, if he is to speak before God, he needs freedom from the terror that audience would involve. If granted that freedom to speak clearly, he intends to stand before God and defend himself. Job even offers God the choice -- God could speak first and Job answer, or Job could speak first and God reply. 

Job 13:24-27, Why?
Why do you hide your face 
and consider me your enemy?
Will you torment a windblown leaf? 
Will you chase after dry chaff?

For you write down bitter things against me 
and make me inherit the sins of my youth.
You fasten my feet in shackles; 
you keep close watch on all my paths
by putting marks on the soles of my feet.

Why is God silent in the pain? God seems to personally mark Job for suffering. (We who have seen the scene before God's throne in the first two chapters know that this is true!) Job wonders if maybe he is being punished for things he did as a young man, long ago. (Punishing a grown man for long past juvenile behavior is presumed to be unfair.)

Job 13:28, Moth-eaten
"So man wastes away like something rotten, 
like a garment eaten by moths.

Once again, Job describes the short vanity of life. Is God does not respond soon, Job expects to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment