Thursday, November 9, 2023

Psalm 39, The Handbreadth of Life

For the director of music. For Jeduthun. A psalm of David.

Jeduthun was apparently a Levite musician appointed by David. See 1 Chronicles 16:41-2, and 1 Chronicles 25:1-3.

Psalm 39:1-3, Heart grows hot
I said, "I will watch my ways 
and keep my tongue from sin; 
I will put a muzzle on my mouth 
as long as the wicked are in my presence."
But when I was silent and still, 
not even saying anything good, 
my anguish increased.
My heart grew hot within me, 
and as I meditated, the fire burned; 
then I spoke with my tongue:

David vows not to speak. But as he watches the wicked, he grows angry and must speak! This is the David of Justice, the king whose reign (when he is good) concentrates on justice and integrity.  The rest of the psalm is David's speech after watching evil prosper.

Psalm 39:4-6, Number of my days
"Show me, O LORD, my life's end 
and the number of my days; 
let me know how fleeting is my life.
You have made my days a mere handbreadth; 
the span of my years is as nothing before you. 
Each man's life is but a breath.
Selah.
Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro: 
He bustles about, but only in vain; 
he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it.

David meditates on the brevity of life and how quickly it passes.  He uses "handbreadth", "nothing", "breath", "phantom", "vain" all as descriptors of life. Alter points both to Job and Ecclesiastes for similar examples.  Ideas of this psalm are echoed in Job -- see Job 7, for example.

The verses tend to come in triplets of thought instead of doublets.  Alter suggests this a device that increases tension as the conclusion of the thought is postponed one phrase, one heartbeat.

Psalm 39:7-8, Where do I go?
"But now, Lord, what do I look for? 
My hope is in you.
Save me from all my transgressions; 
do not make me the scorn of fools.

There is a penitential aspect to this, as if this song follows Psalm 38.

Psalm 39:9-11, Overcome by your blow
I was silent; 
I would not open my mouth, 
for you are the one who has done this.
Remove your scourge from me; 
I am overcome by the blow of your hand.
You rebuke and discipline men for their sin;
 you consume their wealth like a moth-- 
each man is but a breath.
Selah.

A quick flitting moth, a brief breath, and we are gone!  When I was younger, I was not aware of how fleeting life is.  But now, to quote a Johnny Cash line: "I can no longer run" and the quickness of life is frightening!   This idea, the brevity of life, occurs throughout Old Testament wisdom literature and also New Testament passages, like the letter of James, which reflect the Old Testament ideas.

Psalm 39:12-13, An alien with You, like my fathers
"Hear my prayer, O LORD, 
listen to my cry for help; 
be not deaf to my weeping. 
For I dwell with you as an alien, 
a stranger, as all my fathers were.

Look away from me, 
that I may rejoice again 
before I depart and am no more."

When YHWH is angry with David, David feels the separation. Certainly there is an alienness to the elternal non-humn Creator. At the end, YHWH's gaze is frightening, especially to a broken mortal.

In the midst of this short brief life, God, help me to live a life of meaning and purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment