Friday, November 10, 2023

Psalm 40, A New Song, Proclaiming Righteousness

For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.

Psalm 40:1-3, Out of mud and mire
I waited patiently for the LORD; 
he turned to me and heard my cry.

He lifted me out of the slimy pit, 
out of the mud and mire; 
he set my feet on a rock 
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth, 
a hymn of praise to our God. 
Many will see and fear 
and put their trust in the LORD.

The psalm begins with praise, grateful for God's intervention and aid in desperate times.  This aid, this salvation, has led to David's announcement of a new song of praise.  He concludes that this new song will bring "fear" and trust in God.

The emphasis on patience as the psalm opens acknowledges that God's responses are not quick.

Psalm 40:4-5, Many many wonders
Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust, 
who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods.
Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done. 
The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; 
were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.

There is ever the temptation to follow other attractions, other things that look (temporarily) promising and powerful.  In Old Testament times, the "false gods" of verse 4 were literal idols; we have more subtle versions today.

Instead of idols, David focuses on the many wonders of YHWH and of His creation.

Psalm 40:6, Not sacrifices but listening
Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, 
but my ears you have pierced; 
burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.

There is some confusion on the translation of the Hebrew text of verse 6.  "My ears you have opened; burnt offerings and sin offerings you do not require."

The comment that God does not really desire sacrifices and offerings is a poignant one, an important statement for an Israelite trained in the tabernacle sacrifices and Jewish feasts.  It is repeated in Psalm 51.

Psalm 40:7-10, I speak out
Then I said, "Here I am, I have come-- 
it is written about me in the scroll.
I desire to do your will, O my God; 
your law is within my heart."

I proclaim righteousness in the great assembly; 
I do not seal my lips, as you know, O LORD.
I do not hide your righteousness in my heart; 
I speak of your faithfulness and salvation. 
I do not conceal your love and your truth from the great assembly.

David's new song includes his desire to follow God and to speak out on his faithfulness, salvation and love....

Verse 7 is quoted in Hebrews 10:7 as a messianic statement about Jesus.

Psalm 40:11-12, I need mercy and love
Do not withhold your mercy from me, O LORD; 
may your love and your truth always protect me.
For troubles without number surround me; 
my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see. 
They are more than the hairs of my head, 
and my heart fails within me.

Although there is claim to righteousness in this psalm, there is also recognition of overwhelming sin and self-created troubles.  We all need mercy, much of it. And love.

Psalm 40:13-15, Put them to shame
Be pleased, O LORD, to save me; 
O LORD, come quickly to help me.
May all who seek to take my life be put to shame and confusion; 
may all who desire my ruin be turned back in disgrace.
May those who say to me, "Aha! Aha!" be appalled at their own shame.

Yet, as always, David has enemies....  This passage begins with synonymous parallelism, repeating David's plea for help. It then has three parallel lines (a tricolon) building up David's request that his enemies be put to shame.

Psalm 40:16-17, Do not delay
But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; 
may those who love your salvation always say, "The LORD be exalted!"

Yet I am poor and needy; 
may the Lord think of me. 
You are my help and my deliverer; 
O my God, do not delay.

May we all experience joy and say, "The LORD be exalted!"  Even when we are poor and needy (especially then!?) we are to rely on God.

No comments:

Post a Comment