Friday, March 1, 2024

Job 17, "You False Optimists!"

Attacked again and again by his friends, Job is broken and weary, but stubbornly insistent on his innocence. He has nothing else to cling to. He continues to defend himself against Eliphaz's most recent attack.


Job 17:1-2, Broken spirit

My spirit is broken, 

my days are cut short, 

the grave awaits me.

Surely mockers surround me; 

my eyes must dwell on their hostility.


The grave is seen as a place to get away from the angry mockers that surround him. (The mockers are there because a previously rich man, who was also righteous, has been brought so low. But the "friends" who have accompanied Job seem to be identifying with the mockers.)


Job 17:3, God is security

"Give me, O God, the pledge you demand. 

Who else will put up security for me?


Job seems to both lean on God and be devastated by God. Hartley argues that Job wants to appear in court before God, but needs a pledge, bail, to get out of this devastating place while he waits.


As Hartley points out, the cry for protection in verses 1-3 is echoed in other places in the Old Testament. It is David's plea in Psalm 119:121-124.


Job 17:4-5, Still, they will not triumph

You have closed their minds to understanding; 

therefore you will not let them triumph.

If a man denounces his friends for reward, 

the eyes of his children will fail.

The mockers have closed minds but will not triumph. The last verse seems to expect a certain corruption to reflect onto one's children; Job uses threats similar to those used by his companions, to warn them against their actions in denouncing him.


Job 17:6-9, A byword

"God has made me a byword to everyone, 

a man in whose face people spit.

My eyes have grown dim with grief; 

my whole frame is but a shadow.

Upright men are appalled at this; 

the innocent are aroused against the ungodly.

Nevertheless, the righteous will hold to their ways, 

and those with clean hands will grow stronger.


Job will hold on to righteousness even in despair. He laments that everyone around him acts as an enemy.


Job 17:10-12, False optimists

"But come on, all of you, try again! 

I will not find a wise man among you.


My days have passed, my plans are shattered, 

and so are the desires of my heart.

These men turn night into day; 

in the face of darkness they say, `Light is near.'


Job's friends are useless.  All of Job's plans, all of his joys and triumphs have been destroyed. (Anyone who has dealt with deep grief and sorrow understands that lament.)


Job's friends would claim light is nearby even in the darkness.  This is an accusation -- false optimism in the midst of pain is the charge here. (Thousands of years later, it would still be good for us to be aware of this accusation.)


Job 17:13-16, No hope in corruption

If the only home I hope for is the grave,

 if I spread out my bed in darkness,

 if I say to corruption, `You are my father,' 

and to the worm, `My mother' or `My sister,'

where then is my hope? 

Who can see any hope for me?

Will it go down to the gates of death?

Will we descend together into the dust?"


How can one who is corrupt have any hope? Job, in despair and desperation, looking towards the grave and darkness, sees nothing but righteousness that is worth clinging to. His faith here is one of desperation; he sees no other choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment