Friday, March 15, 2024

Job 29, Past Honor and Joy

After describing the difficulties of finding wisdom, Job's final speech begins. In this final speech, across chapters 29, 30 and 31 of the book, he insists on his innocence. In chapter 29 Job recalls earlier days, when he seemed to be blessed by God. In chapter 30, as Hartley explains, we have a lament, echoing Job's first speech in chapter 3. This is followed (chapter 31) by an oath of innocence. This speech represents Job's final say in the dispute over his suffering.


Job 29:1-6, Longing for much better days

Job continued his discourse:

"How I long for the months gone by, 

for the days when God watched over me,

when his lamp shone upon my head 

and by his light I walked through darkness!


Oh, for the days when I was in my prime, 

when God's intimate friendship blessed my house,

when the Almighty was still with me 

and my children were around me,

when my path was drenched with cream 

and the rock poured out for me streams of olive oil.


The first verse separates Job's final speech from his earlier ones. Oh how Job misses the good days when he was in his prime and God still cared for him! In those days he could speak to God personally and worship Him intimately.


Hartley says that cream and olive oil were basic staples of the ancient Near East and having large quantity of these staples meant that one was rich.  Job dramatically claims that he had so much cream that he could walk on it, so much olive oil that it poured out of the rocks along his path.


Job 29:7-10, When I had respect

"When I went to the gate of the city 

and took my seat in the public square,

the young men saw me and stepped aside 

and the old men rose to their feet;

the chief men refrained from speaking 

and covered their mouths with their hands;

the voices of the nobles were hushed, 

and their tongues stuck to the roof of their mouths.


In those good old days, Job was treated with respect by young and old. At the city gate, where the leaders met (eg. Ruth 4: 1-2), both young and old stood up and gave him honor.


Job 29:11-17, When I stood for justice

Whoever heard me spoke well of me, 

and those who saw me commended me,

because I rescued the poor who cried for help, 

and the fatherless who had none to assist him.

The man who was dying blessed me; 

I made the widow's heart sing.

I put on righteousness as my clothing; 

justice was my robe and my turban.

I was eyes to the blind 

and feet to the lame.

I was a father to the needy; 

I took up the case of the stranger.


I broke the fangs of the wicked 

and snatched the victims from their teeth.


Job took care of the poor and fatherless. He cared for the dying and the widow. (In the ancient Near East these were standards of righteousness -- see the praise of the good king in Psalm 72: 12-14.) At every turn Job was "father to the needy." He wore justice as his turban.  Indeed, he even attacked the wicked and saved people from them. 


Job 29:18-20, I will die in honor

"I thought, `I will die in my own house, 

my days as numerous as the grains of sand.

My roots will reach to the water, 

and the dew will lie all night on my branches.

My glory will remain fresh in me, 

the bow ever new in my hand.'


Job trusted that he would live a normal life and would die contented in his home.


Job 29:21-25, Others leaned on my words

"Men listened to me expectantly, 

waiting in silence for my counsel.

After I had spoken, they spoke no more; 

my words fell gently on their ears.

They waited for me as for showers 

and drank in my words as the spring rain.

When I smiled at them, 

they scarcely believed it;

 the light of my face was precious to them.

I chose the way for them and sat as their chief;

 I dwelt as a king among his troops; 

I was like one who comforts mourners.


Men listened to Job and he had honor and influence! In the desert lands where rain and showers were welcomed, so too were Job's words.


But that has all changed ... (see the next chapter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment