Thursday, October 26, 2023

Psalm 27, Your Face I Seek

Of David.

Psalm 27: 1-3, YHWH, my light and stronghold
The LORD is my light and my salvation-- 
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- 
of whom shall I be afraid?

When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, 
when my enemies and my foes attack me, 
they will stumble and fall.
Though an army besiege me, 
my heart will not fear; 
though war break out against me, 
even then will I be confident.

"Light" represents goodness, joy, life, vitality (says Kidner.)

Psalm 27: 4, One thing I ask
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: 
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, 
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD 
and to seek him in his temple.

This psalm, like the last one, concerns itself with visiting God is His/Her sanctuary. (Psalm 15 also has this theme, approaching YHWH.)

Why should God be sought?  Why does David enjoy God? The emphasis here is on a personal relationship, personal joy with God, practicing the "presence of God."

What is this temple of the Lord?  What does it mean to dwell in it?   How does he hide us there?  Why will David sing and make music there?  The "temple" here need not be the temple of Solomon's day, but stands for God's presence and would have been represented by the tabernacle tent of David's day. 

Psalm 27: 5, Safe
For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle 
and set me high upon a rock.

David, recalling his days of running from Saul among the rocks and cliffs of Judea, often speaks of God as if God were a mountain fortress, a large rock upon which to hide. (See Psalm 18:1-3.)

Psalm 27: 6, ...
Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; 
at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; 
I will sing and make music to the LORD.

"I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever" is the ending of Psalm 23.  Many of the psalms in this section (26, 27, 28) have God's dwelling as a theme.

Psalm 27: 7-12, Your face I seek
Hear my voice when I call, O LORD; 
be merciful to me and answer me.

My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" 
Your face, LORD, I will seek.

Do not hide your face from me, 
do not turn your servant away in anger; 
you have been my helper. 
Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Savior.

Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me.
Teach me your way, O LORD; 
lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors.

Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, 
for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing out violence.

Feel the desperation and loneliness in verses 9 and 10!  David is concerned that God will turn away, then reassures himself that even if his family were to betray him, God would not.

Psalm 27: 13, Still confident
I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

David's expectation is immediate; he is not interested in some type of heavenly reward", but wants God's goodness here, amongst the living!

Psalm 27: 14, Wait, wait for YHWH
Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

David's songs usually end with a resolution.  Here David seems to have simply made a decision -- that, based on past experiences, he will wait on God and so will see God's goodness again.  And so he ends the song with the same encouragement to the listener.

No comments:

Post a Comment