Friday, October 27, 2023

Psalm 28, Rock & Fortress

Of David.

"Of David" is part of the ancient Hebrew text.  Presumably this psalm was written by David (or possibly written for David).

Psalm 28: 1, YHWH, my rock
To you I call, O LORD my Rock; 
do not turn a deaf ear to me. 
For if you remain silent, I will be like those who have gone down to the pit.

A common Davidic metaphor for God: "my Rock."  See Psalm 18:1-3 for another example of this metaphor; see 1 Samuel 23:26-28 for a literal example of God saving David as David hid among the rocks, fleeing Saul.  The same metaphor, in "fortress" reappears in verse 8.

The "pit" may be Sheol, the grave.

Psalm 28: 2-3, Those who speak cordially but...
Hear my cry for mercy as I call to you for help, 
as I lift up my hands toward your Most Holy Place.
Do not drag me away with the wicked, 
with those who do evil, 
who speak cordially with their neighbors 
but harbor malice in their hearts.

This psalm is the third in a string of similar psalms, Psalms 26, 27, 28, in which David describes dwelling with God and pleads for safety and more time in God's presence.

Regarding verse 3: how often have we had some one speak cordially to us, but with malice in their hearts?  I fear this is especially common in Texas, where southern gentility requires that one say, "Good morning!" or "Good day!" regardless of one's real motives.

Psalm 28: 4-5, Back upon them what they deserve
Repay them for their deeds 
and for their evil work; 
repay them for what their hands have done 
and bring back upon them what they deserve.
Since they show no regard for the works of the LORD
 and what his hands have done, 
he will tear them down 
and never build them up again.

This is another standard David refrain, "I plea for help!  I have been righteous (mostly) while they seek evil!"

Psalm 28: 6-9, Heart leaps
Praise be to the LORD, 
for he has heard my cry for mercy.
The LORD is my strength and my shield; 
my heart trusts in him, 
and I am helped. 

My heart leaps for joy 
and I will give thanks to him in song.

The LORD is the strength of his people, 
a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.
Save your people and bless your inheritance; 
be their shepherd and carry them forever.

In verse 7 David responds in song, expressing his thanks in music. In verse 8, he relies on his covenant with God, reminding God that David (and his descendants) are "anointed", part of a messianic plan. (Indeed the Greek word, "Christ", simply means "the Anointed One," that is, the one promised by David.)

Throughout this passage, David's past experiences -- both as a shepherd in his youth and later, as a leader of men, hiding among the rocks and hills -- drive the metaphors for his dependence on God.

The last verse serves as an appropriate blessing, "May God bless your inheritance, be your Shepherd, and carry you forever."  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment