Saturday, August 10, 2024

Psalm 86, A Sign of the Master's Goodness

A prayer of David.

Stuck in the middle of four psalms from the Sons of Korah is a psalm of David, a simple prayer of supplication.

Psalm 86:1-2, Poor and needy
 Hear, O LORD, and answer me, 
for I am poor and needy.
 Guard my life, 
for I am devoted to you. 

You are my God; 
save your servant who trusts in you.

Alter says that almost every line of this poem has been read in the previous psalms. The statements of David are classic and straightforward: "I trust You so help me!"

Psalm 86:3-5, I need your mercy
 Have mercy on me, O Lord, 
for I call to you all day long.
 Bring joy to your servant, 
for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

 You are forgiving and good, O Lord, 
abounding in love to all who call to you.

The last verse echoes the words given to Moses in the second presentation of tablets in Exodus 34 (see verse 6.)

Psalm 86:6-8, No other god
 Hear my prayer, O LORD; 
listen to my cry for mercy.
 In the day of my trouble I will call to you, 
for you will answer me.
 Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord; 
no deeds can compare with yours.

The last verse echoes words from the song of Moses in Exodus 15 (see verse 11), where YHWH is praised as far above all other gods. The apparent recognition of other gods (other supernatural beings) is turned into clear monotheism in the next passage

Psalm 86:9-10, God alone
 All the nations you have made will come and worship before you, O Lord; 
they will bring glory to your name.
 For you are great and do marvelous deeds; 
you alone are God.

The song calls out to all nations -- everyone, not just the people of Israel, will eventually worship God. And, indeed, there is only on God; YHWH alone is God.

Psalm 86:11-13, Teach me
 Teach me your way, O LORD, 
and I will walk in your truth; 
give me an undivided heart, 
that I may fear your name.

 I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; 
I will glorify your name forever.
 For great is your love toward me; 
you have delivered me from the depths of the grave.

The psalmist has a straightforward plea to learn the ways of YHWH, to worship Him with undivided attention, swimming in the beauty of His love and glory. Finally, at the end, is a statement about past physical rescue from harm.

Psalm 86:14, Ruthless men
 The arrogant are attacking me, O God; 
a band of ruthless men seeks my life-- 
men without regard for you.

Until now there has been no mention of real enemies but David, of course, always have enemies and as in past psalms, is asking for protection from those who seek him harm -- and who have no desire to follow God.

Psalm 86:15-16, Mercy on a servant
 But you, O Lord, are a compassionate 
and gracious God, 
slow to anger, 
abounding in love and faithfulness.

 Turn to me and have mercy on me; 
grant your strength to your servant 
and save the son of your maidservant.

In his worship, David describes (to God!) the characteristics of God that he worships. As before, he quotes part of Exodus 34:6, worshiping "the compassionate and gracious God [Who is] slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness."

The Hebrew word translated "maidservant" is ama; the parallelism of verse 17 identifies submissive David as a servant and the son of a servant. David has repeatedly addressed God as "Lord" or "Master" (Adonai) and now explicitly describes himself as a servant/slave (ebed) and as the son of a servant.

Psalm 86:17, Sign?
 Give me a sign of your goodness, 
that my enemies may see it and be put to shame, 
for you, O LORD, have helped me 
and comforted me.

Finally, David sees his future mercy and salvation as a sign to his enemies, as evidence that YHWH is looking over him.

No comments:

Post a Comment