Saturday, January 6, 2024

Psalm 42, Thirsty for God

Book II of the Psalms covers Psalms 42-72.

For the director of music. A maskil of the Sons of Korah. 

The word maskil is presumably a musical or literary term (says the NIV footnotes.) Motyer translated maskil as "a teaching psalm."

In many ancient Hebrew manuscripts, Psalms 42 and 43 are joined into one continuous psalm, for reasons we will see shortly.

Psalm 42:1-3, Panting deer in the desert
As the deer pants for streams of water, 
so my soul pants for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. 
When can I go and meet with God?

My tears have been my food day and night, 
while men say to me all day long, "Where is your God?"

This song begins with a cry for help and turns into a cry of despair. The writer is dying in the desert heat and drought, turning everywhere to seek cool water, for the presence of God. Meanwhile, others see him as one that can be mocked, for God is not answering his call.

Psalm 42:4, Memories
These things I remember as I pour out my soul: 
how I used to go with the multitude, 
leading the procession to the house of God, 
with shouts of joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng.

Long ago, things were different. The psalmist's relationship with God was so vibrant and clear, part of a joyous community of worshipers.

Psalm 42:5-6a, I will yet praise Him
Why are you downcast, O my soul? 
Why so disturbed within me? 

Put your hope in God, 
for I will yet praise him, 
my Savior and my God. 

The psalmist reminds himself of God's goodness and resolves to hang on. The cry, "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?" will be repeated three times: here, in verse 11 and finally at the end of Psalm 43. This question, with the answering statement of trust, "Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him...", is essentially of chorus for this song, across Psalms 42 and 43.

Psalm 42: 6b, Oh but I am hurting!
My soul is downcast within me; 
therefore I will remember you 
from the land of the Jordan,
 the heights of Hermon--
from Mount Mizar.

In verses 5 and 6 there is discrepancy between Hebrew manuscripts: the translation is from the Septuagint and Syriac; most Hebrew manuscripts have "praise him for his saving help. O my God"

"Mount Mizar" is unknown; Mizar means small. One suggestion is that it is a teasing nickname for the large Mount Hermon, calling it "Mount Small" in comparison with Mount Zion (says Motyer.)

Psalm 42: 7,  Your waves and breakers overwhelm me!
Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls;
 all your waves and breakers have swept over me.

A strong emotional cry ends the first half of the psalm. The chaotic deep sweeps over our despairing psalmist.

Psalm 42: 8, God directs His love
By day the LORD directs his love, 
at night his song is with me--
a prayer to the God of my life.

In response to his despair, the psalmist reminds himself that YHWH is always watching, directing His love.

Psalm 42: 9-10, Back to despair
 I say to God my Rock, "Why have you forgotten me? 
Why must I go about mourning, 
oppressed by the enemy?"

My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, 
saying to me all day long, "Where is your God?"

We ride the emotional roller-coaster again, from a firm reminder, down into despair.  Not only is God silent, but, says the psalmist, I am taunted by my enemies!

Psalm 42:11, I will yet praise Him
Why are you downcast, O my soul? 
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God, 
for I will yet praise him, 
my Savior and my God.

And now our emotions are back up, with a resolution to put our hope in God.

The song continues in Psalm 43....

No comments:

Post a Comment