Monday, January 29, 2024

Psalm 61, Living Enthroned

For the director of music. With stringed instruments. Of David.

Another psalm of David, intended to go with stringed instruments.

Psalm 61: 1-3, Higher rock
 Hear my cry, O God;
listen to my prayer.
 From the ends of the earth I call to you,
 I call as my heart grows faint; 

lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
 For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.

David calls for help as his heart grows faint. He wants to be lifted to a rock above him, a place he can easily be defended; he needs a strong tower.

Psalm 61: 4, A tent under God's wings
 I long to dwell in your tent forever 
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.
Selah.

The strong fortress now becomes God's tent, a place under his wings. A picture of God as a mother bird protecting Her chicks under Her wings is a metaphor that shows up in Psalm 57: 1 and  Ruth 2: 12,

Psalm 61: 5, A heritage
 For you have heard my vows, O God; 
you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.
 
The psalm is pure commitment and desire. David wants to always be in God's tent, living with, protect by the powerful Creator

Psalm 61: 6-7, Enthroned with God forever 
Increase the days of the king's life, 
his years for many generations.
 May he be enthroned in God's presence forever; 
appoint your love and faithfulness to protect him.

May the king live forever!  David -- the king -- asks for a long life.  (David, without embarrassment, prays for himself!) As David prays for his kingdom, this psalm turns into a royal psalm, speaking of an eternal kingdom with a future Messiah.

Psalm 61: 8, Every day 
 Then will I ever sing praise to your name
 and fulfill my vows day after day.

David concludes with a promise to sing praises everyday; every day he will keep his vows.

No comments:

Post a Comment