Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Psalm 57, Awaken the Dawn!

For the director of music. [To the tune of] "Do Not Destroy." Of David. A miktam. When he had fled from Saul into the cave.

In 2 Samuel 24: 3-7, Saul pursues David, who, with his men, hides in a cave. Saul then goes into the cave to relieve himself and David and his men have then have an opportunity to kill Saul. The Hebrew word translated "do not destroy" is (says Alter) possibly linked to David's rebuke of his troops when they realize that they could kill the vulnerable Saul.

Psalm 57: 1, Shadow of His wings
 Have mercy on me,
O God, have mercy on me,
for in you my soul takes refuge.
I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings
until the disaster has passed.

David declares his dependance on God, on being under His wings.  Boaz uses a similar expression in Ruth 2: 12, when he compliments Ruth for seeking the protection of YHWH's wings.

Psalm 57: 2-3, Sending love  
 I cry out to God Most High,
to God, who fulfills [his purpose] for me.
 He sends from heaven and saves me,
rebuking those who hotly pursue me;
Selah.
God sends his love and his faithfulness.

David cries out to God, declaring God's faithfulness. The word selah forces a pause to appreciate God's rebuke of David's pursuers. David then summarizes his trust in God with one line.

Psalm 57: 4, Lions
 I am in the midst of lions;
I lie among ravenous beasts--
men whose teeth are spears and arrows,
whose tongues are sharp swords.

David feels like he is in the middle of a pack of predators, lions, hyenas, even armed men who kill with their sharp tongues.

Psalm 57: 5, Glory
 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; 
let your glory be over all the earth.

As often in the psalms, David's complaints cycle with praise and statements of worship.

Psalm 57: 6, Nets and pits  
 They spread a net for my feet--
I was bowed down in distress.
They dug a pit in my path--
but they have fallen into it themselves.
Selah.

David's enemies set traps for him -- and then fall into their own traps.

Psalm 57: 7, I will sing!
 My heart is steadfast, O God,
my heart is steadfast;
I will sing and make music.

In response to his pain, David will not only praise God but sing and make music as he does. The psalm transitions from one of pleading to one of confidence.

Psalm 57: 8-10, Awake harp and lyre!  
 Awake, my soul! 
Awake, harp and lyre!
I will awaken the dawn.

 I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations;
I will sing of you among the peoples.
 For great is your love,
reaching to the heavens;
your faithfulness reaches to the skies.

David tells his soul to awake and then instructs the instruments to join him. God's love and faithfulness are infinite, says David, reaching past the skies.

Psalm 57: 11, Be exalted  
 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
let your glory be over all the earth.

The last five verses (7-11) of this psalm appear in the first five verses of Psalm 108. David ends with this upbeat refrain of praise, repeating verse 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment