Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Psalm 62, My Only Fortress

For the director of music. For Jeduthun. A psalm of David.

The Hebrew word jeduthun is unclear.  It appears in 1 Chronicles 9:16 as a name. Following Alter, we note that in the header to Psalm 39  the Hebrew word is translated "for Jeduthun" but here the Hebrew preposition  al is "on" or "to". The NIV appears to have stayed with the same language as in Psalm 39, translating both as "for" Jeduthun, suggesting that Jeduthun was one of David's musicians. In addition to Psalm 39, Psalm 77 is also "for Jeduthun." 

Psalm 62: 1-2, Rock, Salvation, Fortress
 My soul finds rest in God alone; 
my salvation comes from him.

 He alone is my rock 
and my salvation; 
he is my fortress, 
I will never be shaken.

The shepherd/king who spent years hiding in the hills of Judah views God as a rock and fortress. He relies only on Him for rest and peace.

Psalm 62: 3-4, Tottering fence
 How long will you assault a man? 
Would all of you throw him down--
this leaning wall, this tottering fence?

 They fully intend to topple him from his lofty place; 
they take delight in lies. 
With their mouths they bless, 
but in their hearts they curse.
Selah.

It is not just physical violence that assaults David. In all the attacks, the enemies use lies and slander to attack him. While God is rock and fortress, David feels like a leaning wall, a tottering fence which can fall at any moment.

Psalm 62: 5-6, Rock, Salvation, Fortress
 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; 
my hope comes from him.
 He alone is my rock
and my salvation; 
he is my fortress,
I will not be shaken.

Verses 1 and 2 form a refrain, repeated here. Kidner points out that the Hebrew word ak, translated here "only" or "alone", appears five times in the first six verses, adding an emphatic statement of reliance on only God.

Psalm 62: 7-8, Pour out your hearts
 My salvation and my honor depend on God;
 he is my mighty rock, my refuge.

 Trust in him at all times, 
O people; pour out your hearts to him, 
for God is our refuge.
Selah.

Not only is David relying on God for salvation but also for honor, to defend his integrity. After repeating his trust in God as fortress, David turns and speaks to the people, encouraging them to "pour out their hearts" to God.

Psalm 62: 9-10, But a breath
Lowborn men are but a breath, 
the highborn are but a lie; 
if weighed on a balance, they are nothing;
together they are only a breath.

 Do not trust in extortion 
or take pride in stolen goods; 
though your riches increase, 
do not set your heart on them.

Whether lowborn or high, your life is a brief breath.  There is no value in riches, especially those created through corruption. (See James 1: 10-11 for a similar statement in the Old Testament.)

The word translated "breath" here is hebel; it appears throughout Ecclesiastes where it is translated "vanity".

Psalm 62: 11-12, Strong and loving
  One thing God has spoken, 
two things have I heard: 
that you, O God, are strong,
 and that you, O Lord, are loving.

Surely you will reward each person according to what he has done.

There are two attributes of God described here, two very different attributes: strong and lovingAs in many other places in the Psalms, the Hebrew word hesed appears here, translated "loving", representing an everlasting covenantal love.

A final stanza reminds us that God pays attention to our deeds and rewards us according to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment